Skip to main content
Family Services Directory Your guide to services for children, young people, parents and carers

Core Assets Independent Support Service

Impartial information and support for parents and young people regarding requests for an Education, Health and Care plan (EHCP) or transfers from a Statement of Special Educational Needs to an EHCP.

The service aims to ensure that all young people with SEND and their parent/carers feel supported and empowered when either applying for an EHCP or transferring from a Statement of SEN to an EHCP.  The support is delivered in a number of ways including via telephone, email, within the community or in a young person’s/family's home.  Group information sessions for young people and/or parents/carers are also offered.

An Independent Supporter can:

  • Act as a named contact person throughout the EHC assessment and planning process.
  • Focus on the main task of helping you to transfer a statement of SEN or LDA to an EHC plan (transfer review).
  • Work with you if you are new to EHC referrals or if you have a LDA under the old system.
  • Liaise across a range of local services and help you to gather the information required for an EHC plan.
  • Provide you with info to help you understand personal budgets.


Who to contact

0800 028 8455
Core Assets


Core Assets
Malvern View
Hanbury Road
Stoke Prior
B60 4AD

Time / Date Details

When is it on
9.00am to 5.00pm
Session Information
Monday to Friday

Other Details


Free service


Age Ranges
Parents of children ages 0–25 and young people ages 16-25
Referral required
Referral Details

Young people with special educational needs or their parent/carers can refer themselves directly.  Referrals are accepted from schools/educational provisions or other professional as long as they have the permission of the young person and/or their family.

Once allocated an Independent Supporter, support to parents/carers or young people is available Monday-Saturday all year round and out of office hours, if necessary.

Related Links
Merton Special Educational Needs
SEN & Disabilities National Advice and Support
How to Request an EHCP Needs Assessment
Transferring to an EHCP (Education, Health & Care Plan)
All about Information, Advice and Support Services

SEN Local Offer

Back to top