Impartial information and support for parents and young people regarding requests for an Education, Health and Care plan (EHCP) or transfers from a Statement of Special Educational Needs to an EHCP.
The service aims to ensure that all young people with SEND and their parent/carers feel supported and empowered when either applying for an EHCP or transferring from a Statement of SEN to an EHCP. The support is delivered in a number of ways including via telephone, email, within the community or in a young person’s/family's home. Group information sessions for young people and/or parents/carers are also offered.
An Independent Supporter can:
- Act as a named contact person throughout the EHC assessment and planning process.
- Focus on the main task of helping you to transfer a statement of SEN or LDA to an EHC plan (transfer review).
- Work with you if you are new to EHC referrals or if you have a LDA under the old system.
- Liaise across a range of local services and help you to gather the information required for an EHC plan.
- Provide you with info to help you understand personal budgets.